:: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Góra strony
Autor: Jakub Juszczakiewicz
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Hi,

    I done just now small test:
1. create squashfs backup with Documents (3.5GiB -> 2.4GiB)
2. overwrite by random data (/dev/urandom) 1MiB inside squashfs image
3. compare all files from source directory and mounded image (fuse)
Result?
1. One file are not accessible (I/O error during read). All rest ware
OK.

squashfs have random (block) access. It's not like tar.gz and others
tars with linear compression. TAR was create for archive on tapes
without random (block) access. Squashfs is dedicated for e.g. ISO live
or embedded ROMs. It's easier to recovery data from squashfs image then
even raw TAR archive. And it's easy to burn it on optical disk.

And one more thing. RO image have one huge advantage over set of files -
you can create one file with hashes and verify image in one shot.

---
Best regards (Pozdrawiam),
Jakub Juszczakiewicz
Krypto-IT