:: Re: [DNG] About the rust language
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] About the rust language
On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 03:53:28PM -0700, Bruce Perens via Dng wrote:
> If You can't get away from the C language, write in Zig. I can testify,
> however, that there was a lot of craft knowledge attached to C and Unix
> that wasn't in K&R.
>
> Thread safeness in C was possible but the language offered no guarantees
> and success was based on your wizard quotient, and took longer than
> necessary.
>
> One lesson was when I released Electric Fence. A number of workstation
> operating systems had to do unplanned releases because so many bugs showed
> up in their system libraries, and suddenly every coder could see them.
>
> Rust is a lot closer to offering the guarantees you need to do thread safe
> shared memory, not that I wouldn't do Hoare's CSP instead.

The problem with that is that the world rejected occam which was the
only rigorous correct implementation of CSP. Unfortunately the go people
didn't really understand CSP, so their channels don't have the right
semantics, and you loose all the correctness properties.

As far as I know, there is no corrrect implentation of CSP in a general
purpose language.

ael