:: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Página Inicial
Autor: Wm. Moss
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
File system archives are best performed as a cron (run-parts or
run-crons or /etc/cron.d) task.

I use xfsdump(8) since all my file systems but /boot are XFS. I schedule
a level 0 dump once a month, a level 1 every two weeks, a level 2 every
4 days and a level 3 every 6 hours using a custom run-crons I wrote.

My /boot partition is EXT4 due to limitation of some ramfs (initrd) file
systems and grub. It is archived with dump(8).

All of this is archived to an internal 8 TiB drive (my system has 8
internal SATA/6 connections).

I also do a master archive to an external (eSATA) 10 TiB drive once
every 3-4 months. This consists of copying the scheduled archives and
creating a compressed tar of my NAS. The disk is installed in a shielded
metal case and is kept is a safe location between archives.

I have used something like this for over 30 years on Unix and Linux, for
both business and personal computer systems. In the past, I have used
various tape systems, but high capacity tape is now too expensive for
home use and overkill. None the less, for a business, I would recommend
Linear Tape Open technology.

YMMV

--
William (Bill) Moss
bill.m.moss@???

     Justice will not be served until those who are
     unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Benjamin Franklin

     When the people fear the government there is
     tyranny, when the government fears the people
     there is liberty.
John Basil Barnhill