:: Re: [DNG] Low speeds over wireless …
Author: sawbona
To: Joel Roth
Subject: Re: [DNG] Low speeds over wireless link
Hello:

On 5 May 2024 at 12:29, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:

> ... desktop can't get a decent speed connection ...

If everyone gets adequate speeds (whatever those are), the problem
may be the *number* of everyones in your immediate vicinity

How many boxes are accesing the router at the same time?
ie: how many are accessing it via WiFi, how many are doing it via
ethernet and just what is the connection's available bandwidth.

You may first want to try checking what happens when you are the
*only* one using the router, whether it is via WiFi or ethernet.

If the problem persists, you may want to try a different adapter as
those thinguies are *not* all the same.

Some are nothing but money flushed down the toilet.

eg: I use a TP-Link TL-WN422G with a home-made directional coffee can
antenna instead of the OEM stub and the difference in signal strength
is more than 2X.

And when there are no other WiFi setups running in the nearby
appartments I can get a sustained 100% signal strength from an ISP
supplied router ~45 feet+3 walls away (as the crow flies).

Under those conditions I can achieve 21.50Mbps download, measured
with the speedtest.net site.

The upload speed will highly on what the type of connection the ISP
is selling you, both in terms of bandwidth *and* type of connection.
eg: synchronous or asynchronous

That said, bear in mind that every hardware/conditions combination is
unique, so you'll have to experiment till you get yours right.

Best,

JHM