:: Re: [DNG] Docker daemon logrotate
Author: Tom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Docker daemon logrotate

> On 9 Apr 2024, at 16:39, dng@??? wrote:
>
> Only setting "log-driver": "local" does not make logrotate work. A more complete rule is:
>
> {
>   "log-driver": "local",
>   "log-opts": {
>     "max-size": "10m",
>     "max-file": "5"
>   }
> }

Hmmm this is where I’m getting confused, because the docker docs says local log driver does rotation by default.

https://docs.docker.com/config/containers/logging/configure/

> and your are correct this is just the logging from within containers. The docker daemon self logs to daemon.log afaik.
>
> You have to restart the running containers for this change in configuration to work.
>
> Grtz.
>
> Nick

I guess I’ll have to configure debian logrotate config myself if the daemon doesn’t handle that. I’m kind of surprised that it’s not a more widespread issue. Does systemd/journald not require any logrotate.d config?

Thanks
Tom