:: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merg…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merge
Dan Purgert via Dng said on Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:11:46 -0400

>On Apr 05, 2024, Steve Litt wrote:

>> Unix doctrinaires take one look at that and start yelling at me as
>> if I were poettering himself.
>
>It is my understanding of the FHS that there are no directives that
>explicitly forbid your directory names or their location on the drive.
>So, what has people so offended at this (other than maybe your choice
>of single-letter directory names :P ).

The first I saw of this prejudice was when, to implement daemontools,
Daniel J Bernstein (djb) created /service and /command. The way the
technoconformists acted, he should have had police protection :-). No
distro ever had /service or /command: They put them in different places
not directly off the root.

By the way, djb's daemontools inspired the runit and s6 we love today.
I started using daemontools somewhere in the mid 00's.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21