:: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merg…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merge
Hendrik Boom via Dng said on Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:29:58 -0400

>But there's no need for the local administrator to use /usr/local for
>her owm software. She can use a randomly generated name and put
>everything there. So instead of /usr/local, she could use /fuj67 as a
>place for all truly local software.

Of course you can, and I do stuff like that. And I'm continually
attacked viciously by Linux File System doctrinaires for doing so.

I have the following directories that other people yell about:

/d for generic data
/s for data I want to keep secret
/scratch for various stuff I don't back up
/classic for old, old stuff that'll never change

Unix doctrinaires take one look at that and start yelling at me as if I
were poettering himself.

If you ask me, the dumbest thing in the world would be to have all my
data under my home directory, mixed with caches, temporaries, configs,
downloads, and who knows what else. If I were forced to refrain from
making my own directories off the root, I'd have ~/d, ~/s, ~/scratch
and ~/classic, on their own partitions or bind mounts, but being an
ornery guy, I do it my way, which is also your way.

All this verbiage could be replaced by these two words: You're right!

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21