:: Re: [DNG] question on programming (…
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] question on programming (maybe OT???)
On 2024-03-22 22:39, karl@??? wrote:
> Simon:
>> On 2024-03-21 15:22, karl@??? wrote:
>>> A database management system like postgresql is just an unnessesary
>>> overhead.
>>
>> This statement could create a false dichotomy in your mind.
>>
>> "A database management system" vs "text file"
>>
>> What about a "database" vs "text file"?
>>
>> Also somewhat misleading, since a text file could be considered a database.
>
> What is it that you don't understand...

Wait a moment. I didn't say what I don't understand because I most
certainly don't understand more than I do understand. So that's not
interesting to talk about.

> any collection of data is a
> database. If you then have some software acting like a server for
> access that named data, then you have a database management system.

That what I'm saying "could create a false dichotomy in your mind".

I want paint a different picture with more gradients.

> No, I just make it easy for myself since you mostly use the latest set of
> values.

It sounds like in this case the historical data is also useful.

> Yes, I know some sql, and I say it is a major overkill for data
> collection and steering purposes.

So it's not your area of expertise. Understood.

> But if you want to do some postprocessing, you might want to go that
> way for the postprocessing part.

Yes, that's what I stated as the main reason.

> It is yet another connection which can fail.
> Compare printf() to stdout to any db-code.

This seems again to being going in the direction of a false dichotomy.

A database like SQLite or BDB is not, well you know what I am about to
say, and I think it makes sense for the person asking to know about the
options.

If you are a really good programmer, my advice is probably not suitable
since you can just quickly rewrite everything.

Web? Probably not needed. Django, I personally don't like Python much. I
mean the type "system" is just a linter.

It sounds like maybe s/he wants some display (real time?). I can't give
much advice on libraries/tech for that... If you have small LCD or
remote computer with network connection, it would be quite different.

I recommend golang to new programmers. It's quick to get started with
and have good results. The standard tooling and library is very good.

https://www.golinuxcloud.com/golang-sqlite3/
https://github.com/d2r2/go-i2c
https://tinygo.org/getting-started/overview/
https://github.com/go-echarts/go-echarts
https://pkg.go.dev/database/sql
https://gobyexample.com/
https://go.dev/doc/effective_go

There's so much out there. Just be careful for libraries that rely on
many more libraries. I would also say that for Python and JS. It seems
to be a symptom of a modern sickness.

Have fun!

Simon