:: Re: [DNG] unstable ownership of mou…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Nouveaux-sujets: [DNG] ..time to snap into reality check?, was: unstable ownership of mount point
Sujet: Re: [DNG] unstable ownership of mount point
On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 6:24 AM wirelessduck--- via Dng <dng@???>
wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2024, at 06:45, o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> TL;DR
> (I installed snapd on my system because I really really wanted to work
> with virtual systems
> and LXD seemed like a great solution. LXD still seems to be a pretty good
> solution but to
> run it you MUST be using snapd and that's a subsystem that forces you to
> do a LOT of
> things the way 'canonical' wants you to - - - you have absolutely NO
> choice in any part of it
> after you start. And - - - - removing snapd - - - well - - for me it was a
> what I call a M$ fix
> - - - I had to re-install! (Absolutely could not cleanly remove snapd no
> matter how many
> rm -r I tried!.))
>

> Every time I’ve had to remove snap from an Ubuntu installation it needs to
> remove the installed snaps before you can uninstall the snap daemon.
>
> https://www.baeldung.com/linux/snap-remove-disable
>

> I can lo longer remember the exact order I removed things in.

My key point was - - - - someone else forced updates and upgrades on their
schedule.
Using options offered by the support team the result was that my server
would shut down.
Rather than not upgrading the system was forced down.
There were NO options for otherwise.
I tried to follow a clear out (method of removal) offered by the then lead
tech (Stephane iirc the name).
Still wasn't possible.
The resultant mess taught me that trusting something that a big company
puts out when
its desperately trying to get a market valuation increased and legitimate
is a terrible idea
and should not be done. Also taught me that ubuntu is not truly open source
- - - even if
it purports to be.
So maybe I'm too paranoid about my security and privacy - - - possible.
Except its my
choice to try things and when they bite and hard - - - I feel quite honor
bound in letting
the rest of the world know that that cute benign looking froggy actually is
looking to
swallow (own) me and likely you as well.

Regards