:: Re: [DNG] Awesome WM: was Alt mouse…
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Awesome WM: was Alt mousewheel changes workspaces
On 2024-02-28 02:09:55, Steve Litt wrote:
> onefang said on Wed, 28 Feb 2024 13:38:15 +1000
>
> >I set it up that way on the last
> >window manager I used, Openbox, and on the one I use now, Awesome.
>
> Awesome is a tiling WM, right? Please tell us how you like it, you
> mindset while using it, and the effect it has on your workflow.

Awesome is hybrid, it can tile or not. On my two monitor setup I have
one monitor off to the side with tiled IM programs (coz there's sooo
many protocols) and the main monitor isn't tiled, everything else goes
there.

If you have had a peek at my apt-panopticon code you'll know I'm a fan of
Lua as a scripting language. That's why I tried Awesome, coz it is
configured and scripted in Lua.

I really only had a quick dabble with Awesomes scripts and configs, and
managed to get things the way I like them.

So the various IM programs get sent to the right monitor. Psi+ gets
tiled at the bottom half, with Hexchat and SchildiChat tiled evenly
across the top.

On the main monitor there are five work spaces.

1) Termit terminal emulator running maximised with no window borders and
a tiny font to maximize the amount of text on screen. In that is tmux
with 16 "windows", running a bunch of mc's, neo mutt, htop, multitail
being fed a bunch of /var/log files, and lots of ssh sessions to the
servers I look after. KeePassXC is also running there and I can switch
between them with "Windows"-tab.

(BTW I prefer maximised with no border over fullscreen, coz often
fullscreen means "grab keyboard and mouse", so you can't tab to other
windows or switch to other workspaces. I have seen fullscreen take over
BOTH monitors.)

2) Firefox-ESR, also maximised and borderless. QuiteRSS, borderless but
only vertically maximised. For a lot of things I can leave the RSS
reader in front and still be able to read web pages, coz this is my
ultrawide monitor. QuiteRSS can open pages in Firefox-ESR.

3) Conky, using my own Lua theme and scripting.

4) Music production. In this case most of the windows are normal sized,
but MusE (the DAW I use) is maximised, but not borderrless, coz important
info is shown in the borders. The other windows being the various parts
of QjackCtl, and VLC if I'm not making music, so I can listen to my
favourite Internet radio stations. Sometimes I might popup other sub
windows from the DAW, like instrument editors, the track router, or
other music making tools. Again these will be normal sized.

5) OpenSim virtual world viewers. Maximised and borderless, I'll often
have two running at once, sometimes three.

Naturally, since I'm a programmer, all of this is scripted to start up
when I log on, and Awesome scripting decides what happens to which
window when ever it starts.

I'm loving the tiling things on one monitor, while not on the other. I
can also drag a window from one to the other, or use a hotkey to do that.
This is useful if I'm gonna be using one of the IM programs for a lengthy
chat, then I can bring it to the main monitor. Otherwise I can just
glance at the IM monitor quickly to check if there's been messages.

Also on the main monitor is dunst and other popups. These stick to the
monitor no matter which workspace, and size themselves to fit their text.

It's not perfect, but it's entirely possible that if I dabble some more
with the config and scripting I can probably fix the minor issues.

Initial quick dabble, good enough result, I'm happy.

So basically if you are a Lua scripter, it's very customizable and
flexible.