:: Re: [DNG] Food for thought?
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Johan Helsingius
A: Bruce Perens
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Food for thought?
On 17/02/2024 18:32, Bruce Perens wrote:

> But is the "Unix Way" still meaningful after 50 years? It was mostly
> built for a pipes and filters text processing paradigm that we have
> outgrown. When I think of operating system design today, the filesystem
> is an optional accessory, one completely unnecessary on non-server
> platforms, rather than the interface to all things.

I agree that the filesystem is becoming a somewhat aged model of
managing namespaces, but as I am spending way too much time in
the ICANN space these days, I am not convinced that the alternatives
are much better.

> The file interface is also synchronous by definition. Asynchronous
> access to it doesn't look like the open/close/read/write/seek paradigm
> of Unix-style files.

The go programming language (not surprisingly also by Pike and Thompson)
is to some degree proof that Tony Hoare's original concept of
communicating sequential processes is still valid.

    Julf