:: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What i…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Fred DC
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What is the point of removing systemd while keeping elogind?

On 7/01/24 15:28, Thorsten Glaser via Dng wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2024, Steve Litt wrote:
>
>> has created an empty package, called
>> logind-considered-harmful, that appears to my package management
>
> It’s here:
> http://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/dists/sarge/wtf/Pkgs/mirabilos-support/

It does exactly the same as the dummy-logind in the devuan repo.

Tested it in a VB with xfce4 and with seatd installed but without a DM.

All what it does, it allows one to install gvfs and udisks2 without
installing elogind etc.

Thunar does show you for example that a usb-key has been inserted but
one can not mount it (not the right credentials). udisks2 depends on
XDG_SEAT being set or something similar. In any case it wants to know
the seat allocation. Elogind creates an entry for that in
/run/systemd/seats so udisks2 works flawlessly with elogind. In theory
xorg-server-core via libseat1 should questing seatd for this seat-number
but somehow xfce4 does not catch that information (env shows no variable
XDG_SEAT but with elogind the var is set). BTW, I did set LIBSEAT_BACKEND.

Presently udisks2 does not work without elogind, at least for me!

I have not tested sftp with thunar.

By default one can only logout. By installing consolekit and creating a
file in /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local that shortcoming can be fixed.

For an easy install of xfce4 as advertised I am afraid elogind is still
very necessary.

Fred