:: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What i…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Steve Litt
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What is the point of removing systemd while keeping elogind?
Ottavio Caruso said on Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:59:20 +0000

>Hi all. I just want to say that I am the OP on the thread on
>debian-init-diversity@.
>

>I had flirted with Devuan before (circa 2018-9) but, at least at that
>time, it would break a few things I am no longer interested in.
>
>In any case, my point was: why keeping stubs for SystemD if we don't
>like SystemD?

My best guess is that the reason is IPYSG.

You don't know what IPYSG is? I guess I'm just smarter than you (just
kidding), or at least more conceited. :-)

IPYSG stands for I'll Play Your Silly Game, and it's used to form
compatibility with Halloween Code and other useless requirements. For
instance, remember back in the bad old days of the browser wars, when
every website had a "best viewed with _________, where ________ was the
name of a browser. And some went further, simply refusing to operate
with "wrong" browsers. So we got around it with a browser setting on
our non-corporationally-correct browsers that told the server that we
were Firefox, and the site then worked.

My understanding is a lot of software needlessly (from a technological
viewpoint, rather than a commercial viewpoint) checks for the existence
of systemd, and if not found, refuses to work or throws an error. The
stubs fake out these applications into thinking they're dealing with
systemd. IPYSG.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21