:: Re: [DNG] This is going to be unpop…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] This is going to be unpopular, but...
Le 04/01/2024 à 19:34, Steve Litt a écrit :
> tito via Dng said on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 00:42:28 +0100
>
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:07:13 -0500
>> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>> but I still maintain that the way forward, and
>>> it's easy, is using a sysvinit PID1 with a runit process supervisor.
>>> Seriously, the end of sysvinit init scripts is no threat to Devuan,
>>> at least in my opinion.
>>>
> [snip]
>
>>> script. Well, that's not the only way, it's not the best way, and
>>> it's not even a good way. People who understand runit should be the
>>> people curating the run script collection, and given that you can
>>> pick up run scripts like fallen fruit from Gerrit Pape and Void
>>> Linux, this is no challenge at all.
> [snip]
>
>> Doesn't this break the concept of package management?
> Yes. Yes yes yes yes YES!
>
> Packages are nice for some things, and not for others. For instance,
> the Debian package for VimOutliner sucked and the first troubleshooting
> move we made on somebody saying it didn't work was to have them
> download the tarball and take about five easy steps.
>

>> The problem is not the system you, me or the other list
>> members will be using if systemd sabotage succeds,
>> the problem is that if the cure breaks the deb file package management,
>> devuan will not be a viable solution (like debian is/was) for common
>> people,
> I disagree. Even though Gates and Jobs went to great length to convince
> computer users they were too stupid to run commands, they're not.
> Especially not people who migrate to Linux.
>
> And I'll bet there are ways to accomplish all this within the package
> manager framework. I won't postulate what those ways are, because the
> a couple times ago when I postulated, people jumped down my throat.

    All a distro is about is package management. Otherwise, just build
your OS from source.

    This is why I suggested to create a package collecting all the
sysv-rc init scripts for all services, and a package with all the runit
initscripts, and one with all the S6 descriptions. This makes only 3
Devuan-only packages which should be very stable. Then all the service
packages just need to have a dependency against one of these 3. Of
course, the size of the sysv-rc package will be big, but it is going to
be the cost of keeping with sysv-rc; and it is manageable for any
installation but the micro hand-held machines.

 --     Didier