:: Re: [DNG] This is going to be unpop…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: sawbona
A: Dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] This is going to be unpopular, but...
Hello:

On 4 Jan 2024 at 19:44, Antony Stone wrote:

> ... DEB package management system works very well ...

I have used Linux with DEB package management through various
distributions (only one with RPM) for a few years now and have found
it to be quite reliable, cannot recall any mishaps.

> People rely on it.

Indeed.
People => every day users, just like me.

> ... don't have the time to learn about application
> inter-dependencies ...

Or want to invest time and effort in that, for that matter.

What *people* want is an OS that *works*, if at all possible, without
having to climb a steep curve.

But Gates and Jobs did not convince anyone that they were too stupid.

What they did was convince every Tom, Dick and Harry that
*computing* was *easy* when it was not.

Not by a longshot.

You know ...
The "Just turn the PC on, point click and there you go" BS.

I still have a shitload of books about DOS and Windows 'secrets' and
'undocumented whatevers' in my shelves, all worthless.

> ... unless the Devuan project can continue to provide system admins
> and IT managers with a convenient way to install ...

Exactly.

But not *only* system admins.

For the most part, *people*, every day users, just like me and every
other Tom, Dick and Harry who needs or wants to use a computer or
workstation for [fill in here] but wants to be as far away from the
MS Windows *experience* as possible.

A.