:: Re: [DNG] This is going to be unpop…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] This is going to be unpopular, but...
tito via Dng said on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 00:42:28 +0100

>On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:07:13 -0500
>Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

[snip]

>> but I still maintain that the way forward, and
>> it's easy, is using a sysvinit PID1 with a runit process supervisor.
>> Seriously, the end of sysvinit init scripts is no threat to Devuan,
>> at least in my opinion.

[snip]

>> script. Well, that's not the only way, it's not the best way, and
>> it's not even a good way. People who understand runit should be the
>> people curating the run script collection, and given that you can
>> pick up run scripts like fallen fruit from Gerrit Pape and Void
>> Linux, this is no challenge at all.

[snip]

>Doesn't this break the concept of package management?

Yes. Yes yes yes yes YES!

Packages are nice for some things, and not for others. For instance,
the Debian package for VimOutliner sucked and the first troubleshooting
move we made on somebody saying it didn't work was to have them
download the tarball and take about five easy steps.

>The problem is not the system you, me or the other list
>members will be using if systemd sabotage succeds,
>the problem is that if the cure breaks the deb file package management,
>devuan will not be a viable solution (like debian is/was) for common
>people,

I disagree. Even though Gates and Jobs went to great length to convince
computer users they were too stupid to run commands, they're not.
Especially not people who migrate to Linux.

And I'll bet there are ways to accomplish all this within the package
manager framework. I won't postulate what those ways are, because the
a couple times ago when I postulated, people jumped down my throat.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21