:: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some st…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some strong disagreement in Debian regarding usrmerge
On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:23:07 +0100, Martin wrote in message
<4549581.LvFx2qVVIh@???>:

> Martin Steigerwald - 18.12.23, 10:19:50 CET:
> > dpkg: See <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#broken-usrmerge>.
> >

> That FAQ entry is crazy: First (some) dpkg maintainers recommend
> undoing the usr-merge in case it has been done already, then there is
> a note that Debian officially does only support usr-merge via aliased
> dirs, the approach (some) dpkg maintainers consider broken by design.
> (And actually I agree to that assessment.)
>
> It is so sad. So much unresolved conflict and friction within Debian
> community. I think the whole Systemd forcing did more harm to Debian
> community than anything else in the last 10 years.

..my fairly educated guess is, this harm was and is the whole idea;
"kill off Debian with SystemD, and the whole Debian derivative tree
comes crashing down."

..is why I propose Slackware as an alternative upstream, they are
even more conservative than Debian was 20 years ago, their packages
are easily converted with e.g. alien, and any file name conflicts
can be fixed with a quick recompile appending e.g. "-slackware" to
every damned file name in the recompiled packages.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: