:: Re: [DNG] What do you guys like abo…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Antonio A. Rendina
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What do you guys like about Desktop Environments?
Il 23/12/23 16:56, Didier Kryn ha scritto:
> Le 23/12/2023 à 16:06, Antonio A. Rendina via Dng a écrit :
>> I like the apps to be integrated and have the same visual
>> widgets/colors, and I don't want to waste time to obtain this.
>
>     I'm totally insensitive to this æsthetic. Further more, I consider
> it a mean to force on the user a set of applications chosen by the DE team.
>
>     Not only I'm jealous of choosing the applications myself, but I
> also consider it a nocive waste of developper's time to reinvent working
> applications not to improve them but only to integrate them into a
> graphics chart.

Still I prefer galculator over xcalc. I understand that xcalc has the
same functions if not more of galculator, but galculator is simpler to
use just because the UI and it does what I need. Integration it's also
about keeping the behavior of the environment consistent, and when you
start to mix window manager and applications it becomes your work to
keep it consistent and functional, that is fine if you enjoy it. But if
you work on several machines at some point you need to stick to some
standards or to organize your automation to keep them consistent, that
to me translates to hours of work that I prefer to spend somewhere else.
I'm in fact totally insensitive to the applications chosen by the DE
team, I keep them when I find it useful. But I get what you mean when I
think of KDE or GNOME.

I think that the idea that "reinventing the wheel is time wasted" is
old, and it was (maybe it is) valid when there was scarcity of them.
Today, those developers are paid to reinvent the wheel by companies that
try every day to gain (some to keep) control of the open-source world
(especially enterprise). If you see how many DEs are out there and what
happened with systemd... we are lucky that those systems can still run
together.