:: Re: [DNG] What do you guys like abo…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: DNG
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What do you guys like about Desktop Environments?
Didier Kryn - 23.12.23, 16:56:49 CET:
> Le 23/12/2023 à 16:06, Antonio A. Rendina via Dng a écrit :
> > I like the apps to be integrated and have the same visual
> > widgets/colors, and I don't want to waste time to obtain this.
>
>      I'm totally insensitive to this æsthetic. Further more, I consider
> it a mean to force on the user a set of applications chosen by the DE
> team.

I like the flexibility to install any application and I still can.

But I love the functionality of a lot of KDE applications. Gems like
Krita, Gwenview, Okular, Konsole, Spectacle, KMyMoney they have just
everything I need and them some. But that then some does not stand in my
way. Lastly I tried out annotation feature in the screenshot app
Spectacle. A breeze to use for quick annotations. I like how I can have a
Konsole everywhere. Separately, in Dolphin file manger or in Kate for
example.

Those apps are not the same than just five years ago. In my opinion some of
them outperform anything I have seen anywhere else so far. But I admit I
have no up-to-date experience with GNOME, Windows or Mac OS X. Maybe
things evolved as neatly or even better there. I somewhat doubt it,
though, at least for my needs and use cases.

If you have a ten year old impression of KDE applications… you don't know
much about the current state I'd say. It has not been bad back then, but
meanwhile it just got (much) better.

Like for example multiple cursor editing and other new features Kate. The
basic block editing has been there since a long time and I use it often
enough to format things like markdown tables, anything that is based on
columns instead of (just) lines. But meanwhile they have multiple cursors
as well.

Or Itinerary parsing train and other ticket information obtained from mail
or QR code. They can scan the PDF of a ticket and make an appointment,
enrich it with real time information in case you agree to access relevant
internet servers of the service providers, show local maps of train
stations and so on and so on. Also I can have Itinerary on desktop and/or
Android phone.

Plasma can adapt to multiple form factors quite nicely. I do not yet have
a phone with Plasma Mobile, but it would be a nice thing to try out.
Possibly with Postmarket OS.

--
Martin