:: Re: [DNG] Simple or minimal wifi ac…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Olaf Meeuwissen
A: Hendrik Boom
CC: tito, dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Simple or minimal wifi access from a laptop.

Hendrik Boom via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> Did something that turned out to be stupid. Removed connman from the system to clear the way for something else.
> I intended to use my laoptop using itw wired ethernet connection eventually anyway.
> I expected to be able to reinstall connman if I needed to. Even if the net was down, I should be able to use the copy in the package cache.
> But... it seems aptitude no longer finds it there. Package didn't use to be removed from the package cache when uninstalled. But it doesn't find it.
>
> And as for the wired internet option -- I can't even find the name of the wired ethernet interface. And ifconfig doesn't give me one. It's aware only of lo.
> Not even wlan0, which used to be around.
>
> Things have changed in Debian recently -- new interface names. New commands for examining and controlling them. and I don't know what they are.
> Once uon a time I' know I need to put eth0 up. Now I cannot even find it.
>
> I *have* installed wpa_gui. It comes up nicely when I boot the system. But I do not know how to configure wpasupplicant.
>
> So. I want to know some of
> How to configure wpasupplicant

That is nicely documented below /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant and Tito
included an example setup at the end. You may want to add your user
account to the netdev group if that hasn't been done already.

> How to find and put eth0 up.

`ip a` will show a list of your network devices and their settings.
If you want to use DHCP on eth0, stick

iface eth0 inet dchp

in /etc/network/interfaces and run `ifup eth0`

> How to get wlan0 back. It's disappeared too.

That should be listed in the `ip a` output too.

> I suppose I can get some of these packages by sneakernet, The hard part is getting all the dependecies, too.
>
> By the way, where are all the cached packages saved anyway?

Below /var/cache/apt/archives/.

> -- hendrik
>
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 3:33 PM tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:03:13 +0100
> tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:33:50 -0500
> > Hendrik Boom via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having trouble with connman in Devuan chimaera and need a replacement.
> > >
> > > I am setting my laptop up as an authoritative stopgap DNS server while my
> > > regular server is dead.
> > > tinydns needs to use port 53.
> > >
> > > connman, in a chronic fit of exuberance, already monopolizes port 53 so
> > > that it can take over domain name lookups. (there's no need for it to do
> > > this,but it does it anyway. It just needs to set up a wifi connwction. It
> > > doesn't need to do domain name lookup or definition.)
> > >
> > > So -- what other tools are there to connect to wi-fi that don't need to
> > > mess with port 53?
> > > Fancy graphical interfaces are OK, so are low-level CLI ones, or even
> > > hand-editing kernel configuration files, if that's what it tales.
> > >
> > > I do ask that there is adequate documentation somewhere to explain how to
> > > try them out. I may well have to install and uninstall them without
> > > leaving residues that interfere with port 53. Installing and purging in
> > > aptitude would probably do the trick. But leaving just a list of SSID's
> > > and passwords would be fine.
> > >
> > > -- hendrik
> >
> > hi,
> > https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager/iwd
> >
> > iwd - Man Page
> >
> > Internet wireless daemon
> >
> > Daemon for managing Wireless devices on Linux.
> >
> > The iNet Wireless Daemon (iwd) project aims to provide a comprehensive
> > Wi-Fi connectivity solution for Linux based devices.
> >
> > I used as network-manager backend and it worked far better than
> > wpa-supplicant, but it can be used also standalone.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Tito
>
> or simple /etc/network/interfaces
>
>  # Wifi network interface
>  allow-hotplug wlan0
>  iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>      wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

> and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
>
>  network={
>      ssid="home-ssid-name"
>      psk="secret-password"
>  }

> The network part is generated by:
> wpa_passphrase <ssid> [passphrase]
>
>  wpa_passphrase  test provaprova
>  network={
>          ssid="test"
>          #psk="provaprova"
>          psk=125d96d97798b554315075bc7eb6e7f10632b09010b86e4e7407abc9725ba364
>  }

> or this could all be added to /etc/network/interfaces
>
>  allow-hotplug wlan0
>  iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>         wpa-ssid test
>          wpa-psk 125d96d97798b554315075bc7eb6e7f10632b09010b86e4e7407abc9725ba364

> [...]

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen