:: Re: [DNG] Raspberry Pi 5
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Raspberry Pi 5
On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:50:57 +0000, ael wrote in message
<ZX7usUPDkXqZiK0b@???>:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 11:47:02AM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:02:20 +0000, ael wrote in message
> > <ZX3YHIly7x-Dhh2R@???>:
> >
> > > I have recently received a Raspberry Pi 5, although I am still
> > > awaiting a power supply so I can't try it yet.
> >
> > ..if you have any 5V supply, e.g. an usb cellphone charger,
> > a BEC or an ESC for electric RC model motor throttle control
> > meant to power the RC receiver and a few servos, will work.
>
> Actually the PI 5 uses USB-C with PD implemented, so it really
> needs a proper USB-C supply with full PD support.
>
> I am not sure how many of those supplies that you mention
> are USB-C compliant.

..my RC model power tricks are not USB-C compliant AFAIK,
they are workarounds, bypassing all the fancy new USB-C
compliant stuff, so verify your voltages, and, chk out:
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi-5.html
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/getting-started.html#power-supply

> > Beware that many Raspberry Pi's may tolerate up to 5.2V but
> > not 5.25V, which will burn out at least the early Raspberry
> > Pi's, so verify your voltage.
>
> I have an original RP and also an RP3 and I don't have
> problems with them. As I recall without checking the
> RP5 has extended that tolerance to at least 5V5 and maybe more.

..nice, might tolerate my 5.1V chain saw magneto spool then.
70 turns around the iron core, a rectifier bridge, and one
capacitor on each side of the 7805, and a 0.1V zener diode
to hike the 7805 output to 5.1V, neatly epoxied into a wee
metal box bolted onto the engine, so no idea what capacity
those 2 capacitors were, or, are now, worked fine powering
7 servos and the receiver silky smoothly in my 42 year old
noisy ass gas plane.

> I think that it uses the USB-C PD at 9V in some (all?)
> circumstances, so presumably it can tolerate at least that
> potential on the USB-C connector.

..yeah, and they can also be powered by the GPIO pins and
those new POE pins next to the ethernet plug. Again, verify
your voltages.

> > > Obviously I want a systemd-free system, and tried
> > > https://arm-files.devuan.org/RaspberryPi Latest Builds/
> > > but did not find anything obvious there. Perhaps that is not too
> > > surprising at this early stage.
> >
> > ..use the rpi4 image, they are both arm64. (Not Tested)
>
> I did wonder, but wasn't sure if an RP4 image might have a custom
> kernel with drivers for some rp5 peripherals missing. I suppose
> it seems unlikely that the modules would be trimmed like that.

..I wouldn't be too sure we have all the drivers for the new
stuff in the rpi5, but we are able to use their rpi-specific
drivers from their site.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: