:: Re: [DNG] Raspberry Pi 5
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: ael
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Raspberry Pi 5
On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 11:47:02AM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:02:20 +0000, ael wrote in message
> <ZX3YHIly7x-Dhh2R@???>:
>
> > I have recently received a Raspberry Pi 5, although I am still
> > awaiting a power supply so I can't try it yet.
>
> ..if you have any 5V supply, e.g. an usb cellphone charger,
> a BEC or an ESC for electric RC model motor throttle control
> meant to power the RC receiver and a few servos, will work.

Actually the PI 5 uses USB-C with PD implemented, so it really
needs a proper USB-C supply with full PD support.

I am not sure how many of those supplies that you mention
are USB-C compliant.

> Beware that many Raspberry Pi's may tolerate up to 5.2V but
> not 5.25V, which will burn out at least the early Raspberry
> Pi's, so verify your voltage.

I have an original RP and also an RP3 and I don't have
problems with them. As I recall without checking the
RP5 has extended that tolerance to at least 5V5 and maybe more.
I think that it uses the USB-C PD at 9V in some (all?)
circumstances, so presumably it can tolerate at least that
potential on the USB-C connector.

> > Obviously I want a systemd-free system, and tried
> > https://arm-files.devuan.org/RaspberryPi Latest Builds/
> > but did not find anything obvious there. Perhaps that is not too
> > surprising at this early stage.
>
> ..use the rpi4 image, they are both arm64. (Not Tested)

I did wonder, but wasn't sure if an RP4 image might have a custom
kernel with drivers for some rp5 peripherals missing. I suppose
it seems unlikely that the modules would be trimmed like that.

Thanks for the reply.

ael