:: Re: [DNG] What is a user-init?
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Alexandros Prekates
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] What is a user-init?
On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:28:31 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>     There are already such dæmons running in every user's desktop
> session: Policykit, ssh-agent, clipman, screen-saver, plus home-made.
> Plus some others clearly related to the way the desktop manager
> works, eg Xfce notification daemon.
>
>     Nobody as ever considered it usefull to have them "monitored".
> Maybe some are, but essentially, they are started at sesion's startup
> and they exit at logout.
>
>     The purpose of system-wide dæmons being monitored is for them to
> restart without an intervention of the admin, either because the host
> is remote or the admin is busy. These dæmons provide essential system
> services such as syslog, ssh, cups, ntp, http. All these not only
> need priviledges, but some of them simply grant that the host is
> reachable to users, and even to admin.

Is the display server(DS) a system wide daemon ? Could two users run
two different DS ? And if not why ? Why two users can run two different
shells (zsh,bash,etc) ? Could two users run two different terminal
managers (tmux ,screen etc) or two different dbuses or two different
windows managers (in X at least) ?

Also could the admin run services that no user wants or uses ?
And couldnt we imagine a lan with thin clients where a user wants
to run a webserver but not the admin ? And isnt fs-sharing a form of
webserver or vice verca ?

Alexandros