:: Re: [DNG] SSD Lifetime?
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] SSD Lifetime?
Le 06/12/2023 à 12:10, Antony Stone a écrit :

>>> Why?
>>       Just because electronics components are subject to ageing,
>> particularly electrolythic capacitors.
> I believe those can also age without being powered, and produce somewhat
> undesirable pyrotechnics when next powered on.  I have no idea whether the
> degradation over time is worse when powered or not.
>
> Isn't there also a convincing argument that the power-on process is harmful to
> both the electronics and, to some extent, the mechanics of devices like disks,
> and therefore running them continuously (at as low a temperature as can be
> maintained) is better than repeated starts and stops?

    You might well be right about ageing of electrolythic capacitors -
I have no certitude on this point. But, at least, those are often
visible and could be replaced.

    Power cycles are known to be harmfull, but all depends how
frequently they happen, dayly, monthly or once every 5 years (eg). I
believe the most reliable long term archive is a spinning disk you put
on a shelf and you read very rarely. I must say that it is something
I've never done, but I imagine I will, to save collections of
photographs. Of course, on very long term, you must also take care that
the filesystem and the image encodings are still supported.

--     Didier