:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Página Inicial
Autor: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 7:15 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:47:00 -0800
>

> >What are people's thoughts on /var and /tmp being mounted separately?
> >I currently have them separate, but could put them back on / when I
> >put /usr back. Are there any reasons one way or the other? I am also
> >using LVM for everything, including /.
>
> I'd put /var and /tmp right on the root. Why make things more
> complicated than they need to be. If your log rotation methodology does
> its job /var shouldn't get too full. And /tmp is supposed to be a tmpfs
> anyway, so how big could it get, and wouldn't that be an attack on RAM,
> not disk space?

". . . /var shouldn't get too full."
This is the rationale that I was taught by a mentor who although he did
describe himself as a dinosaur - - he made good sense. His comment was
that occasionally a log file in /var goes nuts and files up all available space.
then you can't even log in (his description). So he recommended at least
/var as a separate partition (that's besides /(root), /tmp, /swap, and home.

So disks are big enough now so that its easy enough to throw everything
on one disk - - - ok - - - I prefer the extra resilience of keeping
things clearly
defined and separate.

Regards