:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Página Inicial
Autor: Olaf Meeuwissen
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Hi,

Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:47:00 -0800
>
>>What are people's thoughts on /var and /tmp being mounted separately?
>>I currently have them separate, but could put them back on / when I
>>put /usr back.  Are there any reasons one way or the other?  I am also
>>using LVM for everything, including /.
>
> I'd put /var and /tmp right on the root. Why make things more
> complicated than they need to be. If your log rotation methodology does
> its job /var shouldn't get too full. And /tmp is supposed to be a tmpfs
> anyway, so how big could it get, and wouldn't that be an attack on RAM,
> not disk space?

Re /var/, that may hold more than just logs, depending on your usage.
For me, /var/lib/docker/ tends to hold several 10s of GB, changes a lot
and is not something I'd like to have in the same filesystem. If you're
tracking testing and/or ceres, your /var/cache/apt/ may end up having a
few GB of packages and metadata if you don't `apt clean` regularly (or
set up APT::Periodic to manage things for you).

As for /tmp, yes, the default has been to use tmpfs for that for quite a
while now, but one might still have this on disk. In that case, I would
consider switching to tmpfs *unless* you're on a very memory constrained
system.

# For clarity, when you're using tmpfs for /tmp means you are "mounting"
# it separately. Without a separate mount, it lives in the same place
# as your / filesystem.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen