:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Hendrik Boom - 03.12.23, 06:19:59 CET:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2023 at 11:13:16AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Probably it can work when "/usr" is mounted in initramfs. But as I
> > never found the utility to have a separate "/usr" on any of my own
> > systems (and neither on any servers I administrated for my employer
> > and their customers) as well has having had to deal with the outcome
> > of very fine grained partitioning as in /usr being separate and too
> > small.
>
> I found a separate /usr convenient long ago. My / partition,
> which contained /usr, had run out of space and there were other
> partitios beside it, so I couldn't just expand it.
>
> The simplist thing wasto put /usr elsewhere on the disk.
>
> This whole situation is obsolete now that we have a logical voluume
> manager, but /usr is still separate for historical reasons.

Yes, I am using LVM nowadays. Even with BTRFS. Gives more flexibility for
example to test BCacheFS on my laptop once I have a 6.7 kernel that
actually does hibernate on the laptop, 6.7-rc4 still is broken in that
regard. But for desktop systems I just give 50 GiB to / meanwhile and
never ran into a space issue there so far. Not even with tons of flatpaks
installed for various reasons.

Currently 17 GiB of 50 GiB usage on BTRFS with zstd compression. And that
is with quite some flatpak applications including their runtimes. Just
Devuan with KDE Plasma, Firefox, Libreoffice, the usual stuff all from distro
packages just gives about 3-4 GiB of usage. So 50 GiB is *a lot*.

Best,
--
Martin