:: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: …
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: onefang
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: usrmerge becoming mandatory for Devuan?
On 2023-11-26 21:23:12, Svante Signell via Dng wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-11-26 at 12:11 +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Joel Roth via Dng - 26.11.23, 12:01:43 CET:
> >

> > Now what I would like to have confirmation whether I have to usr-
> > merge my Devuan Ceres systems in order to continue for them to boot
> > or whether that note is just for Debian users.
>
> Hopefully your system will continue to work fine without usrmerge.
>
> > I am not willing to do the usr-merge if its not strictly necessary,
> > but if necessary I will do it.
>
> Neither do I.
>
> > Right now this laptop with Devuan Ceres still boots okay without
> > having been usr-merged. I just don't want to risk having an
> > unbootable system, so if Devuan is not continuing to provide for the
> > ability to have the system unmerged, I will merge them.
>
> I'll try to convince the Deuvuan maintainers to keep usrmerge out of
> the distributions! If needed I'll step in to help fork Debian packages.

Not really any need. There's a script to turn on usermerge, and a script
to disable it. If you don't even bother to install the usrmerge package,
you don't even get the first script, and you are usrmerge free.

I'm still not convinced that usrmerge is as evil as everyone running
around like a chook with his head cut off is claiming it is. The "shared
/usr among different servers" use case is not very common, and usrmerge
can be avoided easily enough for that. I'm also not a big fan of having
lots of different partitions for different directories, you tend to run
out of space on one while having lots on the others, but that seems to be
the other use case where usrmerge will get in the way.

Meh, I've given up arguing.

> > I expect that to be the case, but before I do a merge, a confirmation
> > that it is necessary for Devuan Ceres would be nice. And again: I
> > understand it. I bet it would be way too much work to divert here.
>
> I'm happily running Daedalus on several boxes and laptops,
> without usrmerge. Don't know too much about Ceres though.

I'm happily using usrmerge on my Devuan boxes with no problems.