:: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: …
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: usrmerge becoming mandatory for Devuan?
On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 11:54:44 +0100, Martin wrote in message
<2307077.ElGaqSPkdT@???>:

> Martin Steigerwald - 26.11.23, 11:49:24 CET:
> > please merge this system as soon as possible
> > for details refer to DEP17 (M2) documentation
> > https://subdivi.de/~helmut/dep17.html
>
> When I look at this document just briefly I wonder has it really been
> beneficial to use up such an insane amount of time for merging usr?

..looks like "somebody" doesn't want us setting up server parks or
sharing /usr lan wide in the good old debian style anymore.

> Anyway, I fully get Devuan developers deciding against diverting from
> merged usr here. It would be too much work.

..might be easier to pick e.g. Slackware or Gentoo
to fill in the gaps left by Debian.

> So if it is merged usr, then *sigh* I am going to do it.

..I prefer you don't waste your time and energy on such usr-merge
folly, even tracking that mess to keep Devuan untangled from that
mess is a better use of your time and energy not only helps us at
Devuan, it also helps e.g. Slackware, and it helps good Debian
people flee Debian for better alternatives like e.g. Devuan.

> I wonder whether the people behind merged usr ever fully thought
> about the consequences of their proposal. Well… no, I do not wonder:
> They did not. That much is obvious when I just briefly scan over
> above document.

..this is a pötterism, no?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: