:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Nouveaux-sujets: [DNG] Leaving Mr Goooly Re: email programs (??right word??)
Sujet: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 7:06 PM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:24:51 +1100, terryc wrote in message
> <20231126092451.0cd7bc9b@???>:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 16:12:46 +0100
> > Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:
> >

> > > ..try live without it for a week, just see _whether_ you _can_
> > > untangle your own email from claws.
> >
> > Okay, wtf are you people doing that you suffer lock-in?
>
> ..in my case, running disks too long, and then having to recover my
> email from a dead Netscape Communicator suite on a dead Wintendo 95
> on my first pc, which worked just fine on S.u.S.E.-5.2 (and later
> Red Hat-5.2 thru 7.3 and Debian Sarge to Etch) where I went back
> to exmh with my email tree in Maildir format with formail, AFAIR.
>
> > Claws doesn't download/collect emails unless I specifically 'press a
> > button' each and everytime. Then it downloads and sorts.
>
> ..I usually automate those 2 with fetchmail and procmail, but I agree
> 'pressing a button' is wise with suspect hardware or software, avoids
> data loss.
>
> > > If you can't, you're locked-in, and will go down with that ship
> > > _whenever_ the claws ship goes down.
> > > Remember, good old Lennart _could_ "join" the claws team. ;o)
> >
> > Well, there other mailers so unless I loose access to Devuan packages,
> > there are no real problems.
>
> ..losing access to Devuan packages is no real problem, we can go
> sideways to e.g. Slackware and use alien to convert their claws
> tgz package to a trustworty .deb, or build .debs off their source.
> We only need people to set up those .deb build jobs.
>
> ..the bigger problem is sneaky changes in Debian packages posing as
> Devuan packages because we trust them too much. Can also happen
> upstream, e.g. in claws git repository. All email projects going
> down at the same time, is less likely to happen.
>
> > Even 'primitive' is still workable aka accessing "/var/mail/user on
> > the mail server" although the SO is going to be very annoyed wading
> > through headers and that html rubbish. If that happens, I'll might
> > have to revive my scripting skills.
>
> ..do that either way, you might come up with something new and better
> than we have now.
>
> > Seriously people, from the 'horror' posts regularly popping up on
> > this list, it seems like many of you need to get out into the sunshine
> > and fresh air a bit more.
>
> ..horror stories that get enough sunshine, provides good recovery
> recipes.
>
> > FYI, I started doing 'mail chucking' well before Linux came into
> > existence.
>
> ..some of us needs to keep all records for legal reasons.
>
> > A little bit on various unix boxen for $ and wrangling
> > two community Fidonet nodes on OS/2 for a hobby and my favourite mail
> > server is smtp with the alternate settings. Now, that 'program' was
> > about putting together the parts/services you required.
> >
> > Running sendmail, some pop and currently claws-mail suits me fine.
>
> ..see above on "either way." ;o)
>
> > Time to follow our cat into the sunshine.
> [...]

I'm finding the last dozen or so emails in this thread very informative
except - - - I'm feeling even more lost.
I'm trying to figure out how to get off the mz googly email bandwagon
but I'm even more unclear as to what I need to do to achieve that.

I'll start with a question (setup related):
if I have a number of email addresses that are being fed into claws (sorry
Steve but I do need some kind of destination!!!) can I set them up for
different amounts of time between mail 'pickups' (ie 1 address is
every 1/2 hour,
a second is every 10 min, a third is 4 x per day, one is 1 x per week and
another is 2 x per month)?
Please advise?

(I have archives of some 15 GB of emails already - - - maybe not a lot for
some but enough to be not necessarily easy to have access to the works.)

What specific programs do I need to install/configure/otherwise to achieve
an independence from mz googly's emporium? (Please - - - help me by
= = = maybe best is - - what are YOU using? If you were to redo this on
your system - - - what would you do? What don't you like from what you're
using - - - what would you do differently?)

Interesting and informative conversations so far - - - TIA for your further