:: Re: [DNG] Latest network-manager 1.…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Latest network-manager 1.44.2-5devuan1 wants to remove isc-dhcp-client
Rob via Dng said on Wed, 22 Nov 2023 00:46:57 +0000

>Doing a dist-upgrade the new nm packages want to uninstall
>isc-dhcp-client which includes the dhclient which gets an ip address
>from router Does the new network-manager include this functionality or
>does another dhcp client need to be installed. I understand isc.org
>are end-of-life'ing the client software.

I forgot to ask: Is this a computer that mostly stays in one place, as
opposed to a laptop you regularly transport with you? If it's mostly in
one place, just hard code an IP address, install the unbound DNS
resolver daemon, and get rid of network-manager and all its ilk. And if
you can't get rid of them but still can hard code your IP address, just
do the following to decline network-manager's "help":

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Naturally you do the preceding after pointing resolv.conf to your
unbound server. You can even back it up with 8.8.8.8 or some other
public dns less googlesque.

If it travels with you, once again I suggest the ipaddr/dhcp/dns
handlers made for Devuan by Ed and Aitor.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21