:: Re: [DNG] vdev status update in dae…
Author: aitor
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev status update in daedalus
Hi again,

On 2/11/23 9:10, aitor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 31/10/23 1:42, aitor wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 21/8/23 12:46, aitor wrote:
>>> The problem I'm trying to solve right now is in another area related to gvfs/udisks2 and the delay of the `g_dbus_proxy_call`
>>> when mounting/unmounting usb devices with vdev.
>>>
>>> What the heck is delaying the replay in the message bus?
>> SOLVED !!!
>> https://github.com/storaged-project/udisks/discussions/1209
> Closed. You can see the discussion in the link above.
> I'll apply the required changes to vdev as soon as possible.
> Cheers,
> Aitor.

I have a new libudev-compat that works with both eudev and vdev. In other words, the shared library has a dual behavior
that will depend on whether /dev is in devtmpfs or tmpfs. This is the criterion that will determine the way to go for
libudev-compat. IMHO, this duality is advisable because (since chimaera) libapt depends on libudev, and changes from
libeudev1 to the old libudev1-compat or vice versa may become a bit riskie, although I've been doing this way for years
in gnuinos. Of course, once libudev-compat has been installed it's still possible to revert the situation and reinstall
libeudev if you wish, despite the fact that the earlier will work fine for eudev as well.

DISCLAIMER:

All this means that vdev is now installable in devuan and derivatives (not only gnuinos). The only change you need to do in
order to get it working on devuan is in the file "/usr/share/initramfs-tools/init", where you'll need to replace the line:

mount -t tmpfs -o size=$tmpfs_size,mode=0755 none /dev

with the code below:

if [ -x /sbin/vdevd ]; then
     tmpfs_size="50M"
     mount -t tmpfs -o size=$tmpfs_size,mode=0755 none /dev
else
     mount -t devtmpfs -o nosuid,mode=0755 udev /dev
fi

For the sake of vdev :)

Cheers,

Aitor.