:: Re: [DNG] powerdns upstream has dro…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] powerdns upstream has dropped sysvinit support
tito via Dng said on Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:37:58 +0200

>On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:41:07 +0300
>Boian Bonev via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>> ..cut..
>>
>> > You do make a valid point. One of the reasons for the fast adoption
>> > of
>> > systemd has been the easy interface (service files) for developers
>> > and
>> > packagers.
>> > The fastest way to make inroads with an alternative init imo is to
>> > adopt
>> > the service file format from systemd (and embrace, extend, and
>> > extinguish?).
>>
>> I was planning to write a reply in a similar spirit to yours ;)
>> Moreover those service files are already there and besides the
>> respective interpreters there is no extra work to do per package.
>>
>> The main problem in supporting systemd service files is that there
>> are concepts in them that other init systems can not (easily) handle
>> and it will become a race of adding that support versus more
>> non-standard stuff coming...
>
>Hi,
>
>I think this way you will be always dependent upon systemd upstream
>decisions and so you are in the same position as today.

Could be. It might give redhat the motivation to change their unit file
syntax.

>What we need is a well designed common unified declarative
>init system service format that takes into account the needs
>of the different init systems and once it is standardized
>due to the rule of maximum laziness it will be adopted
>by everybody because it is supported by several init systems
>and their developers.

That's been tried and failed because it was too difficult to make a
one-size-fits-all to work between close cousins runit and s6. But all
is not lost. See my later posts.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21