:: Re: [DNG] powerdns upstream has dro…
Top Pagina
Auteur: al3xu5
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] powerdns upstream has dropped sysvinit support
Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:25:40 -0300 - altoid via Dng <dng@???>:

> [...]
>
> This episode is just the visible tip of an ongoing trend directed at
> cementing Poettering's abortion of nature firmly in the role of Linux
> ecosystem's *only* viable init software.
>
> Sooner than later, there will be little or no software to be run on
> non-systemd Linux distributions and then it will be too late.
>
> While all this is happening, Linux dev/maintainers etc. have
> evidently not come to terms with that inescapable fact.

I totally agree.

> And *insist* on the idea of multiple options for Linux init software
> instead uniting behind *one* in line with the basic Linux philosophy
> we all know.
>
> The only way to survive what is going on these days within the Linux
> ecosystem is to pool *all* available resources to be able to resist
> and have a chance at survival.

Again, I totally agree.

The init-system diversity project could be one chance.
Also runit or c6 could be chances (to me c6 seems the best).

If I understand correctly (given my not too in-depth knowledge of the
subject):
- if runit, efforts should be oriented towards including all the most common
services (and perhaps also the less common ones) in runit-services;
- if s6, a collection of service directory is needed also in this case
including all the most common services (and perhaps also the less common
ones);
- a possible 2-step procedure should also be considered (?): once having
runit-services including all the stuff, should be relatively easy porting
to s6.

Did I get it right? It's correct?

Anyway, I agree that it would be necessary to move towards one and *only* one
direction in which to concentrate efforts, asking those who are able to
contribute.

I wouldn't know what to do to make it happen.

Could the resources of those who develop and collaborate with Devuan be
sufficient? I hope so, but I doubt it.

In any case, perhaps public incitement from a person whose
authority (even non-technical) is widely recognized could help to give birth
to a project capable of being a concrete hope.

> Just a chance, not guaranteed.

Indeed.

> Like I have noted more than once: there are huge shitloads of moolah
> behind this systemd putsch.
>
> You *do* know where Poettering is working now, right?
>
> "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property
> sense to everything it touches"
> Ex Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer - Chicago Sun-Times - June 1, 2001.

Oh... Sure... But that's not the only cause... The devil's army has many
soldiers and powerful weapons...

Regards
alexus

--
Property is theft! (P-J Proudhon) -- True today more than ever.

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B