:: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband s…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: wirelessduck
To: dvalin, dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband software to use on Devuan?

> On 19 Sep 2023, at 18:50, dvalin@??? wrote:
>

> In a month or two I'll have to move from NBN wired broadband to
> 4G mobile broadband. That is totally unfamiliar territory, raising
> two critical questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to install a package to interface to the mobile broadband
>      dongle? (Plugged into a USB socket.)

> 2) Should I be particularly careful in choice of dongle, for it to work
>      with Devuan?

> It seems worthwhile to figure this out beforehand, as it's difficult to
> download/upgrade stuff while there's no internet access.
>
> I'll download the latest Devuan, and install it on an old but good Lenovo
> laptop, as I'm several releases behind - not a good starting point, I figure.

Are you staying on NBN with fixed wireless or are you switching to a telco 4G data connection via SIM card?

If you’re on NBN fixed wireless, then the isp can/will provide you with a router to connect your laptop to.

If it’s a home 5G broadband connection then it looks like you are also provided with a router device by internode or your isp.
https://www.internode.on.net/5g-home-broadband/ (see “getting connected” section) and this would just connect to your laptop via wifi or Ethernet.

If you’re on a small usb 4G dongle, I used one on Telstra many years ago with the Sierra Wireless Aircard 320U and got the driver submitted into the Linux kernel upstream so I know that works.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/aircard_320u_(telstra)

I’m guessing there is newer hardware out since then that probably also works with 5G etc. From memory you would need to use ModemManager to connect to the device. It’s available in Devuan/debian repositories. I can’t recall if it needs NetworkManager or if it can be used separately.

https://modemmanager.org/

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/package-query.html?c=package&q=modemmanager=1.20.4-1

I haven’t used this for a few years so I’m not sure if there is other linux software that can talk to the usb modems.

If you don’t need the portability of a usb dongle then a wifi router box with 4G/5G sim support may be easier to use, like the one provided with the internode 5G home broadband plan. Then you can avoid all usb trouble and just connect with wifi or Ethernet.

Tom