:: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband s…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: o1bigtenor
A: dvalin
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband software to use on Devuan?
On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 3:50 AM <dvalin@???> wrote:

> In a month or two I'll have to move from NBN wired broadband to
> 4G mobile broadband. That is totally unfamiliar territory, raising
> two critical questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to install a package to interface to the mobile broadband
>      dongle? (Plugged into a USB socket.)

> 2) Should I be particularly careful in choice of dongle, for it to work
>      with Devuan?

> It seems worthwhile to figure this out beforehand, as it's difficult to
> download/upgrade stuff while there's no internet access.
>
> I'll download the latest Devuan, and install it on an old but good Lenovo
> laptop, as I'm several releases behind - not a good starting point, I figure.

I may not be understanding you correctly.
If this is what is sometimes called fixed wireless highspeed internet and
you are moving to this location (and you have no other connection options)
there is nothing much that you will have to do. You will be handed some
kind of device (exactly what is determined by your provider!!!! NEVER you)
and you will connect power and a cable to that device from your equipment.
Dunno if they will have an only wireless connection but that's also a maybe
today. Ask of your proposed isp if that is the case. If this is what you will
have - - - well - - - I'll be blunt - - - I hope you have almost no
trees between
you and the area antenna.

Good luck