:: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router i…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: crichmon
A: 'o1bigtenor'
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router issues
Hi Again,

> One port for the optical cable in and one port for the ethernet cable (cat 6 IIRC) for out.
> Have another switch coming so will try further some time next week.

OK. From the comments below, you might have an issue with your ISP and getting more than
on IP address from them if you have more than the router talking directly to the converter.

> It's just a media converter - - AIUI a box that converts from optical pulses to electrical ones and I don't
> think there is really much software happening.
> https://community.fs.com/blog/how-fiber-media-converter-works.html

That was informative.

>> And the 38.x.x.x is coming from the ISP's box or the ISP remotely?
>> (bridging question)
>That's the WAN address of my router.

Yes, the question was the source of the address (where is DHCP for it)? I think the
previous answer about the media converter implies it's coming from the ISP directly.
Not a problem, but helps clarify the situation.

>>> Well when the router itself says that the cable is disconnected (and its visually not true)
>> Which cable? Does that connection have idiot light blinking or are they dark?
> router doesn't have lights like a switch front panel of the router had all lights in question lit - - - ie not good for much

How is the router telling you the cable is disconnected? From its web interface?
Is must be indicating the WAN cable is what's disconnected, otherwise you wouldn't be logged into it.

>> I'm betting in both cases, your router is the DNS cache as well as the
>> DHCP server. If that's the case, then rebooting your main box shouldn't be required.
> Maybe shouldn't be required but haven't been able to find any shorter solution yet.

Gregory mentioned: $ service networking restart
So I checked a couple of my boxes, and it comes up with a ? for status. I've never really
used the service command for anything, and I imagine that however I have networking
set up is out of reach for what service is looking for.
I suspect that these:
> ifconfig eth0 down
> ifconfig eth0 up

or:
sudo ip link set eth0 down
sudo ip link set eth0 up
are doing something very similar. The multitude of network management "improvements"
don't help narrowing down what will work for you. Any idea which variety of network
management you are using?

> > I have asked a number of times about this.
> > Have been told that I'm supposed to install more software - - - unbound was one recommended hasn't happened

Installing unbound or pihole replaces the DNS server in your router and gives you more control over
how it's configured. That's all. It's not "more" software, but replacement software.

> asking here got me software recommendations to change the DNS server.

Well, mostly because you started asking about DNS issue.

> Once you install opnsense (running on freebsd (AIUI a hardened variant) you don't have things like a browser available anymore.
> (Check on your pfsense box - - - would be reasonably similar.)

Correct. The question included an 'if' for that reason. Anyhow...

> IPFire doesn't do ipv6, pfsense seems to be headed toward closing their source code so that left opnsense.

So I think that a high percentage of pfsense is still open source, there are features in the paid version and
what runs on Netgate hardware that are closed, but the vast majority is still open. Looks like both can
also be your DNS server and DHCP server. Mine are all separate so I didn't try that.
And a comparison that includes links for tutorials for both: https://www.wundertech.net/pfsense-vs-opnsense/

> >> (I cannot ping this machine from my main box. Cannot get access
> >> using a web portal either. Need to complete the configuration of
> >> this setup and would like this to be my new router.)
> Noble goal, but you've got way bigger problems at the moment.

> Well - - - after unplugging the opnsense box from the RJ-45 socket on the unmanaged switch
> - - - I have internet on my main box and everything else seems to be working - - - I'm just not able to do what I want on the other 2 boxen.

That again points to some sort of network setup conflict. I'm assuming the opnsense box has at least
two network cards. Any possibility you are using the WAN port on the LAN side? Can you check the
network setup in opnsense by hooking up the monitor and keyboard? In pfSense you can fiddle around
with the networking basics from the console.

> Dunno how it works at your house - - - here when the router isn't working I really have a hard time searching the web for web pages.

Sure, understood.

> Have heard of wireshark - - - haven't done any more with that though.

It's a much fancier version of tcpdump, as far as I can tell. You still have to play around and learn what
all the traffic means.

> It sounds like you're suggesting that I take my network apart so that I can change things.

Not exactly, or not for long. You are trying to figure out what's causing the problem, and from what
you've stated, attaching the opnsense box may be the cause.

> If you're serious about that idea then I suggest that you try it for your house first.

Actually, I did just that not too long ago. That's how I ended up with a virtualization host with all
the networking stuff hosted there. I built it in parallel with my old working setup where everything ran on
one box that was seriously out of date, because I was too afraid to updated it and break everything.
Maybe you missed that suggestion, but that's what hooking a small switch to the media interface would
enable, as long as your ISP is OK with more than one router talking on it.

> Please let me know how your family reacts to losing internet and entertainment until you get everything under
> control. I would prefer if you do not call from your hospital room though (LOL).

It's just me and the wife, but if we had kids it would be a disaster. At the same time, our phone and TV depend
on the network, on top of 2 dozen or more other computer-type things.

Chris