:: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router i…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Gregory Nowak
A: o1bigtenor via Dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router issues
On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 09:00:38PM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> > > lan port is 192.168.1.9
> > > wan port is 38.xx.xx.xxx
> > And the 38.x.x.x is coming from the ISP's box or the ISP remotely? (bridging question)
> That's the WAN address of my router.

OK, but what I think Chris is getting at is what is providing that
address? The ISP through the fiber to ethernet converter?

> One command I really haven't been able to find.
> (url is for systemd machines and systemctl is used.)
> What is the equivalent for $ systemctl restart networking ?

$ service networking restart

> Well - - - after unplugging the opnsense box from the RJ-45 socket on the
> unmanaged switch - - - I have internet on my main box and everything else seems
> to be working - - - I'm just not able to do what I want on the other 2 boxen.

What exactly do you want to do on the other two boxes?

> > > configured. Asus router says that its lan ip is 192.168.1.1 .

A default install of openwrt configures 192.168.1.1 as the address
clients on its LAN interfaces use to reach it. From what you wrote
above, it sounds like you have the asus router connected to the lan
port of your openwrt device. Why exactly are you stacking one router
behind another?

If you connect your main machine directly to the LAN port of the openwrt
device, you should be able to access luci, as well as the ssh
interface on 192.168.1.1.

> > > configuration recipes.
> > > That doesn't make sense. In your entire network using WiFi? If so,
> > > you might have better luck running some ethernet cables for a while
> > > until things are stable.
> > Let me restate. Web access to me, is outside your LAN. So you are saying that
> > when things are broken, you can't access web pages that are internal? That's not
> > a "Web" problem, that's a LAN problem.
>
> Dunno how it works at your house - - - here when the router isn't
> working I really
> have a hard time searching the web for web pages. I can have ONE page up
> but when was the last time something like a router used only ONE page of
> destructions?

It sounds like the fiber to ethernet converter has internet
access. You're going to have to bite the bullet, and connect a PC to
it directly. If that scares you, use a live distribution running from
USB or DVD drive. Look up what you need to look up, disconnect from
the media converter, connect to the lan port of whatever router will
be connected to the media converter, configure that router how you
want, and connect its WAN port to the media converter. If things work
as they should, move on to the next device on your network. If things
don't work, repeat until they do.

> It sounds like you're suggesting that I take my network apart so that
> I can change things.

That's essentially what integrating a new router into the network
involves. Taking the network apart to change things is doable if
approached one step at a time with a thought out plan of action.

> If you're serious about that idea then I suggest that you try it for
> your house first.

I have. Since I still had the old ISP active before getting rid of it,
I was able to transition each device one by one to the new ISP, so
internet access wasn't interrupted for long periods of time. If you
have only the new ISP to work with, the people on your network will
have to put up with losing internet access for a while until you have
things sorted out, but it is doable, without ending up in the hospital either.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1