:: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router i…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: o1bigtenor
A: crichmon
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router issues
On Sat, Sep 2, 2023 at 8:48 AM <crichmon@???> wrote:

> > Situation: have just moved to a new ISP - - - fiber optic direct to my
> equipment so I'm finally done with the terrible speeds and worse support on
> a fixed wired high speed (total misnomer) ISP.
>
> OK, so what does the new service connect to? There must be some ISP box to
> convert fiber to ethernet.

1st box is a "fiber media converter" from the isp.

> What all is hooked to the ISP's box?

one ethernet cable

> Does this ISP box have an interface of
> some sort to check it's status?

6 leds on one side of box (same as cables and opposite of power entry)

> > Router is an ASUS RTN12D1 running a variant of dd-wrt 3.0.0.4.380_8120 at
> lan ip 192.168.1.9 .
> Which side of the router is 192.128.1.9? The LAN port? What address is on
> the WAN port?

lan port is 192.168.1.9
wan port is 38.xx.xx.xxx

> What all hooks to the LAN port(s) on the router? What other networking
> devices are on your LAN?

1 cable to a 16 port unmanaged switch (10/100 MBit - - - new 10/100/1000
24 port is coming)

> BTW, is an 'm/c' a machine?

yes m/c is a machine (machinist's shorthand)

> Naming devices what they are would help
> describing your environment.

Only if you understood my naming system.

> > (Really want to relegate this m/c to working only as a wireless AP!!
> > Have been having DNS issues sporadically over the last couple weeks.
> Are you sure it's DNS issues? How do you know?

Well when the router itself says that the cable is disconnected (and
its visually
not true) and a power cycle on the router clears the web access issue - - - well
the previous isp tech team was the source of that likelihood.

> > Usually taking a router power cycle AND me to reboot my main box so that
> I could have web access again (wireless access would happen without system
> reboot).)
> What sort of "main box" do you have?

Linux devuanmain 6.1.0-10-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.38-1
(2023-07-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux

> It is unlikely you have to reboot it
> because of network issues.

Correct in theory but when I can't figure out how to clear the dns
cache - - - well
its the likeliest solution (even if its a pita).

> There are commands to drop and restart networking on Linux and for Windows,
> if you are using DHCP, you can
> also /release and /renew your address.

I have asked a number of times about this.
Have been told that I'm supposed to install more software - - -
unbound was one recommended
hasn't happened because I knew the new isp was happening soon and
didn't want even more
things that could go wrong with the previous ISP (world class
uselessness they were generally).
Wanted to have the opnsense box ready and configured before they
completed the install.
They surprised my after taking 8 weeks doing nothing they did the
final 2 steps in one morning
and I didn't have the opnsense box configured (still don't - - - -
that's why this ask - - - I need a
way to get online with the router AND have access to the opnsense box
- - - that's the problem in
a nutshell!).

> > Have an i5 m/c with OPNsense installed. Its telling me that its lan ip is
> 192.168.1.208.
> This is separate from your main box? What do you have OPNsense configured
> to do?

nothing at this point - - - have been unable to access the opnsense
box over the last
2 days.

> How many interfaces? Can you hook up a monitor and keyboard and configure
> it locally
> verses over the network?

In an ideal world - - - yes - - - but they have things set up so the
best configuration
tools are when one using web access to the box. I have access to the opnsense
box through a monitor and keyboard/mouse. I have NOT been able to find any
configuration menus available for a cli configuration is the various parts of
opnsense (its a router/firewall and definitely NOT simple nor straightforward
none of which is helped that I'm a noob at it.)

> > (I cannot ping this machine from my main box. Cannot get access using a
> web portal either. Need to complete the configuration of this setup and
> would like this to be my new router.)
> > Have a NanoPiR4S (4GB version) with OpenWRT > . > installed but not
> configured. Asus router says that its lap ip is 192.168.1.1 .
> > (I cannot ping this machine from my main box. Cannot get access using Luci
> either because I cannot complete the configuration of the machine.)
> Same question; Can you hook up a monitor and keyboard and configure it
> locally verses over the network?

Nope its a SoC (like a RaspberryPi) but without graphics capabilities.
(mini-SD card port, 2 - USB3.0 ports, 2 - RJ45 ports (1 WAN and 1 LAN).

> > Wife's cell phone says its connected to the network but has not web
> access.
> > (Can see the m/c on the router - its ip address is 192.168.1.228. Can ping
> this m/c from my main box but the times vary considerably.)
> m/c is her phone in this case? It's connected to the router on WiFi?

yes

> > My cell phone is connected to the network and has web access.
> Over WiFI or via the cell network?
>
> > (Can see the m/c on the router - its ip address is 192.168.1.30. Can ping
> this m/c from my main box and the times vary considerably
> > (not as much as previous cell phone but her's is also further from the
> router.)
> Again, m/c is your cell phone? We have iPhones, and they can't be pinged or
> pretty much anything on the lan.

both android models

> > I only have one option for internet access so when I shut down the asus
> router - - - no web - - - so I can't troubleshoot or access configuration
> recipes.
> That doesn't make sense. In your entire network using WiFi? If so, you
> might have better luck running some
> ethernet cables for a while until things are stable.

Only thing wifi are 2 phones and 1 roku box - - - - everything else is wired.

> > So - - - - am I having all these issues because I have a number of router
> class m/cs running all at the same time?
> What is a "router class m/c"?

Asus router, opnsense box (firewall/router), NanoPi R4S - could be an
OpenWRT router (if I could ever configure it!).

> What are they doing (if you don't mind
> saying)?

Asus router is working.

Cannot get access to the other 2 to complete their configuration.

> > Is the asus router getting flakey?
> Maybe, but you aren't providing any data to make that determination.
>
> > (Is some software being stretched too far (dd-wrt)?) These issues are
> about driving be crackers - -
> > - - please anyone out there with experience and ideas (besides cables not
> being plugged in - - - tried that too).
> Try that again. It's really hard to work on network issues over a broken
> network, so try the next easier things first.

Well unplugged both the opnsense box and the nanopi R4S box.
Network works - - - - but I still don't have a way to access either of
these boxes
so that I can get rid of the Asus router from primary position (its to
be demoted
to a wireless AP point).

So what do I do now?

TIA