:: Re: [DNG] Netbooting Daedalus 5 net…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Netbooting Daedalus 5 netinstall.iso fails
On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 10:50:52PM +0200, dng@??? wrote:
> I try to netboot (ipxe) Daedalus 5 from the netinstall.iso the same way I
> did with Beowulf (and Ascii) but it fails with:
>
> mount: mounting LABEL=DEVUAN500 on /cdrom failed: No such file or directory
> mount: mounting UUID= on /cdrom failed: No such file or directory
>
> *** failed to mount the cdrom
> *** Starting  emergency shell ....
>
> From there I am stuck because there is no sr0 or cdrom device available.
> Afaik is a netboot iso especially made for this purpose or should I use
> something else?

Yes, "netboot" and "netinstall" are two different things. I don't know
what you have done, but "netinstall" is an installer ISO. Thus, you
pop it in and boot from it. The netinstall installer then requires
direct access to the media qua cdrom.

Though, I'd be interested: perhaps you could describe in more detail
how you've used, say, chimaera netinstall via PXE? Afaik, a netboot
ISO would run a program that connects to a tftp server for booting,
and it'd load up the filesystem from that.

But it's true that the daedalus ISO is built differently from before,
with special trickstering so as to allow for El Torito mastering of
UEFI boot using syslinux. This meant to pack in a pre-boot system
within 32Mb that is capable of finding the ISO media qua cdrom, and in
particular handling a number of possible hardware drive types.

That pre-boot system loads up hardware drive drive modules in order to
find the cdrom. Then it unpacks the "real installer" initrd (from
/boot/isolinux/initrd.gz), which it then switches to for the actual
installation process.

Possibly you could use that latter initrd.gz in the way you did before
to make the simiar PXE boot work.

Ralph.