:: Re: [DNG] Question for those in the…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Devuan ML
New-Topics: [DNG] Netbooting Daedalus 5 netinstall.iso fails
Subject: Re: [DNG] Question for those in the know
On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 10:38 AM altoid via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:10, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>
> > ... something that seemed to not like being told to stop.
> > Ejabberd refused to die ...
> Hmm ...
>
> Did *you* install that software?
>
> > What in the sam snot does ejebberd actually do ...
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejabberd
>
> > Do I have to have it?
> I doubt it.
>
> But try asking aptitude:
>
> [code]
> ~$ aptitude why ejabberd
> Not currently installed
> The candidate version 18.12.1-2 has priority optional
> No dependencies require to install ejabberd
> ~$
> [/code]
>
> As you can see I don't have it in *my* box.
> Nor can I think of a vslid reason to have it. (ymmv)
>
> No priority or dependencies.
> So ...

This was very very interesting.

Turns out that I had forgotten - - - this box had a couple of
different lives under
Debian and then it was updated to devuan chimaera.

I likely picked it up a long time ago - - - - seems its quite
connected with erlang.

It really did NOT want to uninstall using apt.

Finally resorted to using rm -r nuking its base location. Then - - - and only
then would apt remove xxxx and apt purge xxxxx work.
A number of the files seemed to be connected to systemd.
So I was able to get rid of this undesired software.

Took another huge jump and updated all of the aspects of chimaera to
daedalus in /etc/apt/sources.list where I found that using the upgrade
program that I had used to get to chimaera had left me a present that
I had to dig out so that chimaera was 'locked out'. System is upgrading
as I write. (If I have issues - - - I'll be back - - - - lol).

Thanking all for their assistance.

Regards