:: Re: [DNG] system update
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system update
On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 7:56 AM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 17:48:08 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> <CAPpdf59hp=jPvG=--pr7hU1WJib59drcDKS1QpbwPAp5p+LSOw@???>:
>
> > Greetings
> >
> > I've been running Daedalus since I installed it (quite a while ago
> > now).
> >
> > Would like to update to 'Excalibur' (IIRC).
>
> ..join and help make it happen, should take a year of hard or
> smart work, smartness helps ease the hard part of the work...

Daedalus is already "stable" - - - - as of Monday IIRC.

> > Do I do that by changing the 'name' in my apt sources file and then do
> > a dist-upgrade?
>
> ..yep. You can do it now, if you are okay with new stuff crashing your
> test machine park, for daily drivers or production machines you need up
> 24/7, keep them on known stable releases until you are confident they,
> and you, are ready for the dist-upgrade dance on your 24/7 machines.

I moved from running Debian 'testing' to Devuan 'testing' except in Devuan
the request is to use the code name rather than its function so I've been
running Daedalus for since I think shortly after "chimaera" became 'stable'.
Found very very few issues in running testing in some likely over 10 years
of doing so. I've found more issues by running multiple monitors than for
any other reason.

> > (maybe there is a page on this somewhere - - - if so - - - a url
> > please - - - - (I've been looking and haven't found anything to
> > date).)
>
> ..until the Daedalus part is written, the
> "Upgrade or Migrate to Chimaera" etc part of:
> https://www.devuan.org/os/install and:
> https://www.devuan.org/os/releases ...
> should give you the general idea of how
> dist-upgrade should work on any new release.

Thanks!

Regards