:: Re: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/r…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/resolv.conf (was Re: request for advice)
On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 08:27:46PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:

> That's what I use, ifupdown and wpa_supplicant. I've switched from
> iptables to nftables already but still need to look at moving away from
> isc-dhcp-dclient. I didn't say ifupdown is going to be obsoleted, btw,
> and neither do the release notes I linked to.
>
> Granted, I should have said

> to make that unambiguously clear.
>
> If looking for an ifupdown replacement, connman might be worth looking
> into. See

Connman has the problem that it takes over dns but seems to have no
mechanism for clearing its DNS cache.
I ran into that when accessing the Devuan package mirrors and happening
on a defunct mirror.
Every time after that I tried to install a package I would end up at that
same defunct mirror instead of a random one.
Connman takes over dns by rewriting /etc/resolv.conf to look at localhost,
where connman has become the DNS server.
I can get around that by explicitly editing /etc/resolv.conf myself.
People have suggested making the file seriously read-only, but I do need
to have it updated when I go compute in a coffee shop.

-- hendrik