:: Re: [DNG] I understand why a lot of…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I understand why a lot of people don't help or report issues.
On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 02:06:15 -0400, Steve wrote in message
<20230815020615.50999c70@???>:

> Antony Stone said on Sun, 13 Aug 2023 20:46:43 +0200
>
> > On Sunday 13 August 2023 at 18:18:45, Ken Dibble wrote:
>

> > > Doesn't this just kind of prove the premise?
> > >
> > > That there are too many inconsistencies, poor documentation and
> > > arcane knowledge for the typical user to be bothered trying to
> > > wade through?

..a lot of people "hate" trying to explain what they did to make
things work, either because they forgot what they did to make it
work, or because they never understood why, or how, what they did
worked, because they know their flawed understanding will mislead
people who try to help fix their embarrassly working mess.

..starting anything by pasting in a comment on what you are trying
to do, first, before you add any code snippet anywhere, will help
you focus on what you are trying to, whenever something or somebody
or anything or anybody distracts you from what you are trying to
do. Distractions WILL happen. Your pasted in comments will help
people understand how to help you get your code working, and may
help people learn and understand how to write understandable
documentation for it.

..people who don't understand how they do their thing intuitively
"because they are easy and selfevident", makes "their thing" crazy
hard to understand and document, unless they indeed are easy and
selfevident, like counting your own fingers, you should have 10,
unless you've had some painful bloody accident.

> [snip]
>
> > My only other comment along these lines is that if you choose to use
> > Devuan on your computer then you're automatically taking on the role
> > of a sysadmin, even if it's only for one machine, for private use,
> > and not for 100 machines for your employer, and being a sysadmin is
> > not a trivial job.

..very true. You either learn how to run your computers properly, or
you pay somebody competent, handsomely, to do it for you, or, you
suffer the ramifications of not having your computers run properly.
You get what you pay for.

> > People who don't want that level of involvement and learning about
> > their computers use Windows and MacOS.

> The preceding is gratuitously insulting and is just not fair.

..cans of worms: To lawfully do business in Russia and China,
Microsoft and Apple had to show their source code to, <drumroll>
the relevant government agencies of Russia and China.</drumroll>

..and then people whine about "computer viruses." "You get what
you pay for."

> Like most software, Debian/Devuan's documentation can be ambiguous.
> How can he admin if the docs either aren't revealing or are ambiguous
> or are just plain wrong. This is a problem in most software.
>
> SteveT

Scenarios always come in sets of three: