:: Re: [DNG] I understand why a lot of…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Antony Stone
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] I understand why a lot of people don't help or report issues.
On Sunday 13 August 2023 at 18:18:45, Ken Dibble wrote:

> On 8/13/23 09:46, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > Try "apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64"
> >
> > That should tell you what "Debian version numbers" of the package are
> > available.
>
> Doesn't this just kind of prove the premise?
>
> That there are too many inconsistencies, poor documentation and arcane
> knowledge for the typical user to be bothered trying to wade through?

Well, from the start of this thread, I've never quite understood the subject
"I understand why a lot of people don't help or report issues." because I
think this group in particular is a good example of people who do help where
they can (even when the question is pretty off-topic for Devuan), and if people
don't report problems when they experience them, well who's to blame?

My only other comment along these lines is that if you choose to use Devuan on
your computer then you're automatically taking on the role of a sysadmin, even
if it's only for one machine, for private use, and not for 100 machines for
your employer, and being a sysadmin is not a trivial job.

People who don't want that level of involvement and learning about their
computers use Windows and MacOS. Those take away all the challenges of
learning how to manage an Operating System, in exchange for accepting that
Microsoft or Apple are now doing it for you, by their rules, which you can't
change.

Depending on the country you live in, and your personal situation, you may
choose to learn about the tax regulations which apply to you, and file your own
tax documents, or you may choose to pay some tax professional to do it for
you. I regard computer system adminstration in exactly the same way.

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

- Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.