:: Re: [DNG] I understand why a lot of…
Author: Ken Dibble
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I understand why a lot of people don't help or report issues.
On 8/13/23 07:06, Antony Stone wrote:
> apt-get source linux-image-amd64=5.10.178-3

There it is.  The magic formula.

This is the first time I have seen getting the source with an "=" sign
in it.

I guess that kind of goes to the original post and title.  There are
things that are

not well known or obvious that prevent people from helping and reporting.

In this particular instance it is a difference in the package name
(linux-image-5.10.0-23-amd64),

the kernel name as reported by uname -a (Linux thinkstation
5.10.0-23-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.179-3 (2023-07-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux)

the kernel name as reported by uname -r (5.10.0-23-amd64)

the installed kernel reported by dpkg (linux-image-5.10.0-23-amd64)

and the naming of the source package (linux-image-amd64=5.10.179-3).

None of the names available to the user match the source package name.

Is this true of other packages, all of them, some of them, none of them?

Why have the name of the source package different from any name the user
would see or find.

I understand having the numbering match the real linux image.

I understand that Debian/Devuan may make changes and thus require their
own version number,

That only confuses the issue if the source package is named after the
original image and does not match the original image.

If the source is named after the original image, then it should be the
source for the original image, not the Debian/Devuan image.

If the source for the original image matches the Debian/Devuan image
then there is no reason to have two separate numbering systems.

Put another way, it makes no sense for the image to have two different
numbering systems if they share the same source.  If the source is
indeed different for 5.10.179-3 and 5.10.0-23-amd64 then it makes no
sense for the source package for one to use the name of the other.

I get that the naming is logical.  It is just not helpful to anyone not
familiar with the source naming details.  Why does the source package
have an "=" in it if it is not reported by anything.

I have some vague recollection of a package manager in ancient times
that would just allow you to pull the source for any package by
selecting "source", but then again I am old and it is just a wishful
made-up recollection.

And just to top things off.  I

uname -a Linux thinkstation 5.10.0-23-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.179-3
(2023-07-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# Package repositories
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera main
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera-updates main
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera-security main
# deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera-backports main

# Source repositories
deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera main
deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera-updates main
deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera-security main
#deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ chimaera-backports main

kdibble@thinkstation:~/Downloads/src$ apt-get source
linux-image-amd64=5.10.179-3
Reading package lists... Done
Picking 'linux-signed-amd64' as source package instead of
'linux-image-amd64'
E: Can not find version '5.10.179-3' of package 'linux-image-amd64'
E: Unable to find a source package for linux-signed-amd64

So apparently I am a rambling idiot on top of it.

Regards,

Ken