:: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Author: wirelessduck
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd

> On 8 Aug 2023, at 01:38, al3xu5 via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> What I would like to understand more deeply are the reasons why currently
> a "pure" runit setup /under Devuan or other Debian-based derivatives/
> could be problematic.
>
> Is this just because the management of some system services is missing
> with runit (missing service scripts)?
> Or there are other reasons which made the hybrid mechanism necessary
> for/during system initialization?
> Or what else?
>
> Regards
> alexus

I think runit lacks the features to handle "oneshot" services. ie. something that runs once on startup and then exits, unlike regular daemons where runit will start it up and restart it if it crashes/stops.

This is something that s6 does support and I’m wondering if it would be reasonable to change focus from runit to s6 after the development of s6-frontend [1] is completed? It is planned to support declarative service files a la systemd and a more simplified interface than the current collection of various individual s6-related tools.

There’s no definitive timeline on it yet so I guess we need to stay with runit+sysvinit for now.

[1] https://skarnet.com/projects/s6/frontend/

Tom