:: Re: [DNG] runit setup
Top Pagina
Auteur: Manfred Wassmann
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] runit setup
On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 8:34 AM Lehel Bernadt via Dng <dng@???>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 08:23:43PM +0000, Manfred Wassmann via Dng wrote:
> >
> >The real incentive to have the original scripts under /usr/share is
> [...]. Now having the original
> >scripts under /usr/share/runit/sv and copied to /etc/sv allows the package
> >to install new scripts into /usr/share/runit/sv without overwriting local
> >changes made under /etc/sv.
>
> If /etc/sv/<service>/run etc. is in the conffiles list, then local changes
> won't get overwritten. At package upgrades you get prompted via debconf
> and
> you can compare your local version with the package maintainer's one to
> see if
> it needs to be updated

I knew that, I'm very familiar with the handling of conffiles in Debian,
and I knew that I should have added the word "unconditional" as soon as I
had sent that mail. The point is, when you have the original files under
/usr/share the package can unconditionally overwrite them when it's
updated. Installing them directly as conffiles under /etc/ results in the
update process to be interrupted with debconf asking questions which is
safe but not without problems and at times inconvenient.