:: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Bernádt, Lehel
CC: dng, lorenzo
Subject: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Hi Lehel,

Bernádt, Lehel via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I did my Debian -> Devuan switch with a detour via Void Linux. I was
> blown away by the simplicity and the speed of their runit setup, so
> when installing Devuan I chose runit as the init system. I was
> disappointed to see that this is not a full-blown runit setup as it
> calls the sysvinit scripts - it only gives the possibility to set up
> your own runit scripts in parallel.

Just to get the full picture, did you install runit-init? Other runit
related packages?

> [...]
> Later on the runit-scripts package became available, and I installed
> it so that I hopefully don't have to create runit scripts for a newly
> installed service.

As has been pointed out in other feedback, it's runit-services.

> I was in for a bad surprise. The dhcpcd service was filling my logs,
> complaining about not being able to bind to eth1, which my box
> obviously didn't have.

That's https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1033542. It's
been addressed in runit-service 0.6.0 but that is unfortunately only
available from Debian's experimental at the moment. Here's hoping this
migrates to sid and is included in the next point release for stable.

@Lorenzo> Any chance of making that happen?

> 1) Why did a dhcpcd service start up when I didn't enable it, and it
> doesn't even need to run as the ifupdown framework can handle it?

Even ifupdown starts a DHCP client daemon to get and renew your DHCP
lease when necessary. BTW, ifupdown recommends isc-dhcp-client over
just any old dhcp-client. Looks like you opted for dhcpcd.

FYI, the bookworm release notes mention that isc-dhcp-client is
deprecated and suggest udhcpc as a replacement[1].

[1]: https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#deprecated-components

> [...]
> I ended up uninstalling runit-scripts and staying with my own scripts.

I uninstalled it when I ran into the reported bug on my server machine
and stayed without custom scripts. On a recently installed laptop I
kept it and "fixed" it (think I set the interface to eth0, may have
commented it out, don't remember, machine's at the office).

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen