:: Re: [DNG] runit setup (was: Re: Ne…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Lehel Bernadt
Aan: dng
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: [DNG] Filing bug reports (was Re: runit setup)
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] runit setup (was: Re: New goodies from systemd)
On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 05:17:36PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>Why did you leave Void Linux for Devuan then?
>
>Just curious, as I thought about trying out Void myself.

Debian/Devuan has more packages, and most of the binary-only desktop software
that I need to use comes in rpm and deb format, with the added value of being
upgradeable using apt. Also Void is rolling release, where things can break
more often.

>If you have ideas on how to improve upon the current situation regarding
>Runit in Debian read some of the other mails I wrote about how you can
>engage with the Debian/Devuan init diversity / init freedom team.
>
>However I recommend you use a bit more polite and constructive wording.
>It almost sounded a bit arrogant to me. There are only a few people who
>work on the packages and maybe Lorenzo copied some Runit script stuff
>from elsewhere. I am not sure, I bet could it could be mentioned in
>copyright file of the Debian package. An oversight like you mentioned
>with dhcpcd is annoying, but could happen. Instead of just complaining
>here in the tone you did, you could also open a bug report and suggest a
>fix. He did all of this packaging work on his own as far as I remember.
>
>Give your feedback in a friendly and constructive tone and offer your
>help. I am sure it would be appreciated. Working together is not only
>technical skills, but also social skills. The tone makes the music as we
>say in German. Meaning it is not only what you say, but how you say it,
>that is important.
>
>Also it could be good to split your feedback into actionable pieces if
>possible, in case you decide to post on debian-init-diversity mailing
>list.

Thanks for the advice.
Sorry if this sounded like a rant, I don't intend to downplay the effort
others are making. There are two reasons I dumped my frustrations here:
- The conceptual direction of the Debian runit & runit-scripts packages seems
too far from what I envision as a simple (and maintainable on the long run)
scheme
- I have the experience of filing bug reports only for nothing to happen
afterwards.

>PS: Your mail formatting does not look nearly as professional as
>according to your own words your runit setup seems to be. Lines are too
>long and last one or two words appear to be split to the next line. Also
>your mail has HTML part. Additionally you top-posted.

Yeah, I wrote it in gmail which is anything but a good MUA - should have known
better. Sorry for the multiple violations of the mailing list etiquette :) I'm
back to something more sane. Oh and I never claimed that my setup is so
professional, I basically followed the Void model.

Best Regars,
Lehel